A couple days ago, Helene Bergot mistakenly sent the address for GP Denver to the twitterverse as the Crowne Plaza in downtown Denver. This was incorrect information, and though she said it had been confirmed with the TO, it had not. I apologize for the miscommunication from them, but I assure you that the venue for the GP in Denver on January 4-6th is is the Crowne Plaza International Airport Convention Center (15500 East 40th Avenue, Denver, Colorado 80239).
I have heard some grumbling about this stating that the venue is poor. All my research indicates that the venue is actually quite reasonable. Let me count off the advantages:
- The rooms at this facility are the most inexpensive rooms I think I have ever booked for a players block at a GP. (Downtown was quoted to me at approximately $60 per night more than Airport, I wont even tell you how much more expensive the Event Hall would have been)
- They appear to be very reasonably comfortable for that price, and have a very respectable average score on Hotels.com
- There are dozens of inexpensive food sources across the street.
- Parking is free.
- Shuttle to and from the airport is free.
- I spoke with multiple people who had experience at this site who said it was very solid (a luxury I don’t always have, often I’m going in blind!)
I have spent a lot of time talking with various magic players I know (and I know a few) and have determined that for the most part, the single biggest important thing to them when making a decision to go to an event is “how much is this going to cost me”, followed very closely by “how much of as hassle is it going to be”. I can tell you that this venue excels at both of these things. It’s cheap to get there, and cheap to stay there. By comparison downtown hotels are running on average $60 per night more and you would have to pay to park or pay to take a shuttle in from the airport if you fly. I would estimate each person (assume you stack the players in your room like firewood) would expect to pay on average $80-$100 more per person on the weekend if this event were to run downtown than at the location near the airport.
So come on out to Denver. Hang out with us at the Crowne Plaza Convention Center (near the airport). Feel free to contact me regarding any concerns you may have… but I bet it’s among the least expensive GP weekend you attend all year!